A company’s energy bill is often overlooked when it comes to reducing expenses. However, whether you work at a major corporation or a small business, there are dozens of ways to save on your energy bill. Below are some big and small ways you save energy and reduce expense:
Light and Device Saving Tips
- Turn off lights when they are not in use, and encourage your employees to follow suit.
- Replace standard light bulbs with energy saving fixtures, such as compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) or light-emitting diode (LED) bulbs. Not only will these conserve energy, they also last up to 10 times as long.
- Steal some free lighting from the sun. By opening up the blinds and relying on natural sunlight, you can turn off the bulbs and lower your energy bill.
- Install occupancy sensors in offices, conference rooms, and bathrooms. Energy will only be used when people are in the room.
- When computers and other electronic devices are not being used, turn them on sleep mode or shut them off altogether. Screen savers continue to draw power and use energy.
Heating and Cooling Tips
- Replace your Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) unit’s air filters quarterly or even once a month. Dirty filters cause the system to work harder (costing you more money) and result in lower air quality.
- Ensure that windows and doors are properly sealed to keep air conditioning in.
- Have a preventative maintenance plan in place and schedule annual tune-ups for your company’s HVAC unit.
- Leave your thermostat at a constant temperature overnight. Contrary to popular belief, turning off the air conditioning overnight actually wastes more energy when the unit has to work twice as hard the following morning to pull all of that hot air back out of the facility.
- Replace older units with Energy Star rated units.
Water Saving Tips
- Install a water reclamation system to gather rainwater for landscaping.
- Put in green features, such as low-flow and low-flush, to reduce the amount of water used.
- Look into sensor-operated fixtures that turn on and off automatically.
- Ensure there are no drips or leaks in the plumbing.
- Invest in a new, eco-friendly water heater. If possible, consider tankless water heaters to reduce storage space and waste.
As you can see, there are plenty of ways for a company or business to cut down on unnecessary energy usage. To learn more about energy saving tips and how the skillful team at MaintenX can help, please call us at 855-751- 0075.