At MaintenX we specialize in preventative maintenance. From hydro-jetting services to routine HVAC repair and roof cleaning, we do it all. However, one of the questions we often receive from clients is, “Am I doing enough? Or am I doing too much?”
Typically, we worry about clients skipping preventative maintenance services, but it is very possible to do too much preventative maintenance. When services are over-scheduled, you may be interfering with the proper performance and aging of your machinery. Plus, you’ll be spending your maintenance budget on unnecessary services that could better go toward saving for emergencies.
Some clients may put all their eggs in one basket, hoping that by increasing their PM budget that they can eradicate emergency repairs. However, your equipment simply doesn’t work like this. Emergency repairs do happen with aging, and will occur due to circumstances outside your control. You need to be prepared at all times, including both a preventative maintenance plan and emergency repair budget.
So, how much is too much preventative care? Ask yourself these questions to find the answer:
- Do you do more than the manufacturer’s recommended maintenance?
- Do you do preventative care ahead of schedule often?
- Are you performing preventative care services not compatible with your equipment’s age or condition?
- Are you performing services to prevent issues that have yet to occur?
- Are you scheduling inspections without your MaintenX technician’s recommendation?
- Do you look to cut energy costs at every corner, even at the expense of an equipment’s performance?
- Are you spending more on maintenance services instead of less over time?
If you answered yes to more than one of these questions, you could be spending too much time and resources on preventative care. As a rule of thumb, we recommend sticking to your MaintenX team’s plan for your facility, as we offer a custom and detailed preventative maintenance schedule based on equipment age, facility capacity, and other unique characteristics of your building.
MaintenX has your best interest in mind when it comes to PM care. To learn more about our services, contact your local MaintenX team today!