In the summertime, your HVAC system is working overtime almost every day. If it is healthy and performing well, it can probably handle the added stress. However, even with a healthy HVAC system comes extra maintenance in the summer and early fall. At MaintenX, we encourage facility owners and managers to schedule time once the weather starts to cool to run a check-up on their HVAC system.
Before you begin scheduling repairs and preventative care services, it’s important to ask yourself a few questions about the state of your HVAC system and service over the summer:
- How many emergency service calls did I have to make this summer?
- How much did I spend on emergency vs. preventative maintenance for my system?
- Were issues resolved the first time, or did my maintenance team have to work on my system repeatedly to solve the same problems?
- Is my equipment aged, overworked, or not maintained well enough to keep up with summer cooling demands? Or is it running as expected?
- Is my equipment still under warranty?
Once you have the answers to these questions, you can then begin working with your HVAC repair team to determine what preventative care services should be scheduled throughout the fall and winter. If you experienced several issues with your system, it could be time to start saving for a replacement. However, if your system is in good health for its age, you should consider scheduling these services to keep it in tip-top shape:
- Clean air ducts and vents
- Reset thermostat to reflect cooling temperatures
- Inspect rooftop units for damage
- Analyze energy consumption to detect performance loss over time
- Inspect electrical components
- Check refrigerant levels and look for leaks or condensation within the unit causing water damage
- Clean heating components in preparation for the winter
All of these tasks can be performed during your end-of-summer inspection, as well as any specific maintenance tasks recommended by your HVAC technician. If you’re ready to start prepping for fall, contact your local MaintenX today to get started!