What is the difference between hiring temporary and permanent maintenance staff? We will discuss the pros and cons of each.
Temporary Maintenance Staff Pros:
- Your company can test out their potential to perform various responsibilities before making a long-term commitment.
- It’s generally more cost-effective to hire a temporary facility management company, taking into consideration employee costs like a 401K, health insurance, and Paid Time Off.
Temporary Maintenance Staff Cons:
- Training is required for any temporary employee. This can be time-consuming and expensive.
- There will be a set end date for the employment period which may fall during a busy time when extra work is necessary.
- Staff may be less dedicated and familiar with your plant, and performance may suffer.
Permanent Maintenance Staff Pros:
- Permanent, full-time maintenance staff offers more financial security and job stability. This can reduce stress for workers and possibly make their performance better.
- Your permanent staff can develop long-term friendships with colleagues in a team-oriented environment, which can contribute to the overall success of your company.
- Extended engagements mean the team will be intimately familiar with the systems they maintain.
Permanent Maintenance Staff Cons:
- Permanent maintenance staff requires additional costs in the form of benefits, training, resources, and space, among others.
- If the job does not provide enough work to keep permanent employees busy, it may lead to reduced paid hours for the workers.
In the end, it all boils down to your company’s specific needs, and budget.
Have questions about maintenance staffing? MaintenX is here to help!