Tips for Preparing Your Electrical System for Winter

Winter is here, and it’s time to prepare your facility for the first snowfalls and freezing temperatures of the season. In Tampa, Florida, where MaintenX is headquartered, we often don’t face too many electrical problems in the wintertime. However, our locations across the northern and central United States often face electrical outages and other issues in the wintertime. If you want your facility to be prepared, you should start scheduling preventative maintenance services soon. 


The Department of Energy estimates that facilities can decrease costs by 25-30%, reduce the chance of breakdowns by 70%, and decrease facility downtime by 35% by investing in preventative electrician maintenance. Over time, these cost savings add up to thousands of dollars saved through careful preventative care. If you want your facility to save, here’s what you need to do in the wintertime: 


Schedule a preventative maintenance tune-up on your entire electrical system.

Electricity is the backbone of any commercial facility, and therefore needs to be given proper attention when it comes to preventative care. With increased power outages this time of year, you want to make sure your system is functioning properly and won’t face any unexpected outages not coming from the grid. 


Check for electrical hazards.

Safety is of the utmost importance, not only for your employees but for your facility as a whole. Electrical fires are one of the most common workplace hazards in the U.S., and result from broken wires, excess moisture, and overloaded breakers. With your heater and electrical system working overtime, you want to look out for these dangers in the wintertime. 


Perform preventative care on your backup generator.

In the event of a snowstorm, you’ll want to have a properly working backup generator to keep your business open and safe for anyone onsite. This can also help you provide essential services, or solely stay in business during snow days. Backup generators are not often in use so it is recommended to perform preventative care on them once a year.


Schedule heater testing and maintenance if necessary.

Your heater hasn’t been in use since last spring, and likely will need cleaning and maintenance in order to perform well. A simple tune-up can help your heater run more efficiently and prevent potential fire hazards. 


MaintenX takes preventative care seriously, and we want to help you make your facility safer in the winter. If you would like to schedule a preventative maintenance tune-up with our electrical team, contact your local MaintenX today!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *