Electricians are the unsung heroes of maintenance. They work diligently to ensure that homes and businesses are always up and running with proper electrical output. Without your neighborhood electrician, home or commercial maintenance would be a lot more dangerous. Because of this, electricians can have very lucrative careers due to their high demand and skill.
Electricians are paid well due to their extensive training and knowledge in their field. They also have exceptional interpersonal skills. If this sounds like the job for you, here’s what you need to know about becoming an electrician:
Electricians typically enroll in trade school or an apprenticeship to become licensed. Some people will begin a pre-apprenticeship to become sponsored by an employer and complete their training. No matter which route you choose, you will have to take a state test to receive your license and become a journeyman in the field. Some of the skills you will learn in your apprenticeship include:
- Reading blueprints and understanding their specifications
- Having an up-to-date knowledge of electrical codes and regulations
- Knowing how to safely work with transformers, generators, conductors, and cables
- Knowing the basics of grounding and bonding
- Understanding the basic safety precautions when installing or performing maintenance on electrical systems
- Learning the basics of instrumentation and power distribution
- Learning different methods of electrical system installation
- Learning how to safely install fire alarms
- Learning electrical maintenance protocol
After your apprenticeship, you will receive your license and start working as a contractor or journeyman. You can choose to go into business for yourself, or work for a contractor network. MaintenX is always looking for talented electricians, and offers the following benefits to those who meet our standards of performance excellence:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance and Short and Long Term Disability
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- Paid Vacations, Paid Holidays, and Sick Days
- Personal Cell Phone Service and Discount through Company Cell Phone Carrier
- Company Vehicle and Uniforms provided
- Fuel Card provided for Company Vehicle
- Opportunities for Overtime Hours
- Opportunity for Career Growth!
Electricians are always in demand and can create highly successful careers with the right work ethic. If you want to start your career as an electrician today, contact MaintenX to learn about our job opportunities.