Sustainability is an important goal that both companies and individuals have been working toward for a long time. Businesses in particular have a higher responsibility to become more sustainable and thankfully it seems to be a trend that more and more businesses are implementing changes in pursuit of this goal. In the interest of setting tangible, clearly defined goals, the United Nations set up the Sustainable Development Knowledge Platform to lay the roadmap for sustainability in the upcoming years and the result is powerful.
What are the 2030 sustainability goals?
The UN’s framework for sustainability laid out seventeen goals for all businesses to work for, with the expectation being that they should all be able to meet them within a decade. The list of goals is as follows:
- To end poverty in all its forms everywhere.
- To end hunger, achieve food security, improve nutrition, and promote sustainable agriculture.
- To ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages.
- To ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all.
- To achieve gender equality and empower women and girls.
- To ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all.
- To ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable, and modern energy for all.
- To promote sustained, inclusive, and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all.
- To build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation.
- To reduce inequality within and among countries.
- To make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient, and sustainable.
- To ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
- To take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.
- To conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas, and marine resources for sustainable development.
- To protect, restore, and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss.
- To promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all, and build effective, accountable, and inclusive institutions at all levels.
- To strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development.
Will we reach these goals?
While these goals may seem lofty, they are completely attainable if we all do our part. If you are a business owner or facility manager, you have a social responsibility to work towards these goals as well, and you don’t have to do them alone. We at MaintenX are here to lend our support through our facility maintenance services and equal dedication to being as sustainable as possible. To learn more about our services and initiatives, please call us at (855) 751-0075.