If you’ve ever had a baby in the house, you know just how important child-proofing is. Babies and toddlers are in awe of the world around them. That means they want to touch, taste, smell, and experience everything they can get their hands on. If you have children in your place of business, however, this can pose many risks. The simple process of child-proofing your facility will allow them to explore in a much safer environment.
Whether you run a preschool, pediatrician’s office, or simply want to create a child-safe place for guests and staff, there are many things you can do to child-proof. The first thing you will want to determine is where children will and will not be allowed. For example, if you work in a medical facility, children are likely to visit but should not be allowed in every area of the building. Blocking off areas that are not child safe is essential to protect them and your staff.
Once you’ve determined where children will be allowed at your facility, it’s time to child-proof. These preventative measures will make your facility a child-friendly environment, and can reduce the chance of liability in the event of an accident:
- Cover electrical outlets with child-safe covers
- Cover sharp corners and edges
- Store chemicals, cleaning supplies, or other hazardous materials in child-proof containers or cabinets
- Put child-proof guards on all windows
- Cover radiators, hot pipes, and other hot surfaces
- Separate electronics from water sources whenever possible (for example, move the water cooler away from the lamp or front desk)
- Minimize tripping hazards
- Remove all protruding nails, bolts, and other sharp objects
- Bolt any tip-over hazard such as a TV stand or bookcase to the wall
- Ensure plastic bags, matches, candles, and lighters are not accessible to children
- Remove all choking hazards from child access
- Ensure outdoor play areas are safe for children, or there are ample warning signs for potential hazards
- Shield lighting fixtures from children whenever possible
These child-proofing measures will help make your commercial space safer for everyone. Of course, the best course of action for child protection is to make sure they are always supervised. No commercial facility will be quite as safe as the home, which is why we encourage all commercial facilities to follow each of these tips if they welcome children.
For more information on facility maintenance and safety, talk to your local MaintenX team today!