Facilities that may have to deal with hurricanes should take steps to ensure that employees are prepared and that the building can withstand the weather. Here are some tips to help you prepare.
Planning is Key
The purpose of an emergency response plan is to protect your most important assets: your facility’s occupants. A thorough plan should include:
- An evacuation plan and route
- Provisions for data backup, as well as alternate communications and power
- A list of vendors and contractors to provide disaster recovery services
Next, identify leaders with the authority and skills to direct others during an emergency. These emergency leaders must be high-performing workers who are assertive and cross-trained among various organization divisions. For the duration of a hurricane, they should be able to execute evacuation plans and provide occupants with important instructions.
Access to all necessary safety equipment is also critical. Ask yourself these questions:
- Can employees easily locate and access emergency equipment in the dark?
- Does the supply include face shields, respirators, safety glasses, hard hats, earplugs, and personal protective equipment for each employee?
- Is the emergency equipment supply regularly audited to ensure personal protective equipment will be available when needed?
It’s also imperative that you appoint a dedicated response team who understands all your facility’s systems. In case of a fire, they should also know how ammonia or refrigeration systems are secured to prevent possible release.
Want to know more about hurricane preparedness? Call MaintenX today!