Your building is important to your business, but so are the people who occupy it, so their safety is of the utmost importance. That’s exactly the reason that fire safety and prevention are top priorities. Follow the following fire safety tips:
Prevent Fires in your Facility Before they Happen
The very first step to fire safety for your business is to stop fires from occurring. While it may not always be under your control, there are a few things that can be done around your facility to help keep your precious property and its even more precious occupants safe:
- Don’t overload electrical outlets, and make sure to use the correct plugs (three-prong plugs in three-prong outlets)
- Repair damaged outlets, cords, cables, etc.
- Keep combustible items like trash and recycling away from electrical equipment
- Keep all of your facility’s equipment dry, clean and well-ventilated
- Make sure all electrical equipment is Underwriters Laboratories (UL) listed (or listed by another nationally recognized lab)
- If your facility includes equipment like space heaters, make sure to always keep them away from anything flammable
- Keep your facility’s portable generators outside
Readiness and practice are both key in the event of an emergency in your facility, so consider sending periodic emails and having regular meetings on fire safety and exit strategies as an added precaution.
Want to learn more? Call MaintenX today!