Sustainability, the pursuit of social and environmental empowerment, is a goal that many business owners and facility managers share, but what does it look like in practice? The Sustainable Development Knowledge Platform, created by the United Nations, asked this very question. They met with leaders from around the globe to determine the best ways to obtain sustainability in our businesses. They then outlined 17 goals that every business owner and, in a way, every individual, should work towards to meet their standards by the year 2030. The goals are as follows:
- To end poverty in all its forms everywhere.
- To end hunger, achieve food security, improve nutrition, and promote sustainable agriculture.
- To ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages.
- To ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all.
- To achieve gender equality and empower women and girls.
- To ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all.
- To ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable, and modern energy for all.
- To promote sustained, inclusive, and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all.
- To build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation.
- To reduce inequality within and among countries.
- To make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient, and sustainable.
- To ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
- To take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.
- To conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas, and marine resources for sustainable development.
- To protect, restore, and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss.
- To promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all, and build effective, accountable, and inclusive institutions at all levels.
- To strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development.
As you can see, these goals encompass an extremely broad range of social and environmental issues. They are utopian ideals for the betterment of humanity, and can be attained if everyone, business owners in particular, works towards them. What are you and your company doing to support these goals?
We at MaintenX believe in sustainability and want to help you achieve it as well. To learn more about the services we offer, please contact us at any time.