As a building’s new tenant, you want to be careful about the work you do to make the space your own. While some renovations are to be expected as you open, you will likely be under heavy scrutiny from the building owner and the city to ensure you are following local ordinances for commercial construction. To not ruffle any feathers, be careful about what you DIY and what you hire contractors to perform.
Typically, you are required to have a general contractor supervise any renovations you do, or at least hire a specialist to cover anything that has to do with electrical, plumbing, roofing, or HVAC repairs. However, there are a few things you can DIY to save money while you try to open.
When it’s okay to DIY
Minor renovations like painting or redoing furnishings are always okay to DIY, but anything that tampers with the structure of the building needs to be approved by the city and building owner. You can usually do renovations yourself when:
- It’s something small like changing out a light switch cover or fixing a leaking faucet
- When it does not interfere with current work being done
- If it is not working that requires a licensed contractor to complete
- When your business is open and is not still under inspection from the city for permitting and licensing purposes
When you need to hire a contractor:
A contractor is typically required for any structural changes or major renovations that involve health and safety precautions. You should check with the city and building owner before:
- Doing any electrical, HVAC, plumbing, or roofing repair
- Installing major appliances
- Replacing any structural element including flooring, drywall, or fixtures
- Adding or replacing anything that can affect health and safety codes within your building (such as kitchenware or fire safety equipment)
If you have questions, it’s always best to hire the contractor instead of guessing. If you are looking for affordable plumbing, HVAC, electrical, or roofing work done, however, give MaintenX a call to learn about our renovation and installation services for your area.