Maintenance management is a complex task that requires cooperation from technicians and facility managers alike. One of the hardest parts of the job is keeping track of work orders, prioritizing requests, and improving service as you go. In order to achieve this, you must make the best use of your maintenance history. Here’s why:
Effective maintenance service is more than fixing the problem at hand. It’s about understanding why the problem occurred, and providing a long-term solution to ensure it doesn’t happen again. Just like a doctor doesn’t provide a treatment for symptoms without understanding the underlying disease, a maintenance technician can not provide a real fix until they understand the equipment issue that’s causing it.
Just like a doctor does, you’ll have to take a full history of the problematic equipment before giving a diagnosis. In order to do that, your facility needs a proper system for recording work orders and maintenance services. This information is invaluable to your MaintenX technician, so they can better solve your issue and make sure it doesn’t happen again.
When recording work orders in your maintenance management system, you should include the following information:
- When was the last time you performed preventative maintenance on the equipment?
- How often do you typically perform preventative maintenance tasks?
- Were any maintenance tasks skipped during the last check? If so, why?
- Which technicians have performed service in the equipment?
- What comments did the technicians leave about their service?
- Is there a recurrence of specific issues with this equipment?
- What is the average cost of maintenance for this equipment?
- What is the equipment’s projected service life?
- When the equipment needs to be replaced, what new equipment should it be upgraded to?
Your maintenance history tells you a lot about the state of your equipment as well as the facility as a whole. Keeping close record of these things will help your maintenance staff provide the best service possible. This means reduced costs for you and more efficient facility management.
Contact MaintenX today to learn about our comprehensive preventative maintenance services. We provide maintenance history tracking and ensure that whenever our technicians are onsite, they are providing the best service available.